Safety and security – fact not fiction
Our modern life including increase in work levels and everyday challenges forces the workers in their fields to coop with it and face it in order to satisfy their customers. Due to the increase in the work speed and load, error chances and problems increases which may jeopardize the safety and quality of products and the safety of the workers in the field. We in Oasis Livestock Company believe that the quality of our products and our customers’ satisfaction is a must and an important matter, and that our workers are one of the company’s assets that rely on to provide its customers with high quality products and services. Therefore the company has taken serious steps in all of the food safety security and facility management which qualified it to get the ISO 22000 certificate in the food safety management systems which includes within its requirements that the facility shall implement the HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) system.
Here in Oasis Livestock Company we follow a very important rule in regards to the safety and security: Better safe than sorry. We follow all of the local and international conditions and specifications in regards to our field force workers in the slaughterhouses we manage or in our own livestock barns and in other facilities that we own or manage.
As follows the description of the safety and security procedures Oasis Livestock Company follow:
First : Standard programs approved for our products quality and safety
- Food safety management systems (FSMS) which includes Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Good Health Procedures (GHP), which also implements Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points program (HACCP).
Second: Slaughterhouse and barns workers
- Protection of human resources from possible work environment hazards through the implementation of laws and standards that protects them from accidents, injuries and occupational diseases.
- Implement all of the occupational safety and health procedures that ensure a safe work environment which protects the human and the facility resources from dangers.
- Ensure using personal protective equipment (PPE) during work hours and not to under estimate its importance.
- The importance of providing a first aid box in all work areas to deal with minor injuries immediately and training the workers on how to perform first aid.
- Storage of chemicals and inflammable substances away from workers’ gathering areas due to its high risk nature
- Implement occupational safety in the slaughterhouses and barns by providing a safety supervisor whose job is to follow up safety requirements that will prevent various accidents.
- Focus on raising the readiness of the slaughterhouse workers through trainings that let them acquire enough experience how to evacuate their work place and deal with accidents as soon as it happens.
- The company implements a complete plan for fire fighting and prevention through a set of preventive procedures and plans and actions to deal with the incidence on the spot with the maximum capacity.
- Continuous coordination between slaughterhouse management and the civil defense department and the occupational health authority and other relevant authorities through courses given to the work supervisors and the workers which ensures safe work environment for everybody.
Third : Facilities ( slaughterhouses, barns and administration)
- Complete abidance with all safe construction requirements and specifications and civil defense requirements including building material specifications, insulation materials, fire fighting equipments, fire exits and others.
- Work on providing signs and instructions and keep up with new field developments in the field of general safety as these signs are considered to be important material to raise the awareness of the workers and increase their caution and so prevent work place accidents.
Fourth: environmental safety
Environmental safety is one of the things that might look of low importance to some people and as a luxury to others, but we in Oasis Livestock Company take it as a must and a duty and one of the safety and security factors as it is one of the interests of the UAE government and is considered as an important issue, and environmental pollution fires back on our beloved country and residents. Oasis Livestock Company has implemented a set of rules and regulations to preserve our environment which are as follows:
- Use of environment friendly materials which are approved by the relevant authorities including plastic bags and packing materials.
- Reduce waste materials which are generated from daily slaughtering activities such as slaughtering and skinning, and treat it in the approved way from the relevant authorities.
- Recycling whatever possible material including animal manure, animal skin and other by-products.